Monday, February 7, 2011

Its all a game....... isn't it?

I recently had a conversation with someone regarding real life versus Second Life. That being, real life is paramount above everything that is Second Life. To an extent I agree. I won't be missing exams, work, a meeting at the bank or that hot date with a possible Mr Right BUT and I say this vehemently Second Life isn't pixels to me its about commitment to those I friend and work with. When I discuss Second Life with a friend who thinks the name sounds like a cult religion or funeral home I start with the "well its a character that you move with keys and you dress up and ooohh you can do unmentionable things with". You mean "shagging" she says but no I was actually meaning ride on a bumble bee. Now I just sound weird. I then use that famous term "social networking" She raises an eyebrow; I can still see she thinks shagging.

My Second Life isn't about being second its called "Compliments Real Life" or CRL, (I just made that up, but it sounds good). However as tongue in cheek as it sounds it really does compliment my real life. I have friendships in SL that mirror my RL friendships. I exhibit the same personality in world as I do in my real world. O.K riding on a bumble bee is stretching it a bit but if I could find one big enough to harness in real life I would give it a go. It sounds fun! Animal welfare as paramount of course.

When I observe those new to Second Life rez and announce "what am I supposed to do in this game?" ; then watch as older residents take umbrage and state "Its not a game !" I would argue it is, as isn't life a game? You might meet the snake and fall and occasionally you see a ladder to climb to your goal. We compete for Park Lane and turn our nose up when we can just get a house on Old Kent Road. Then we caterwaul into Xbox 360 Karaoke wanting to be the new Christina or as I impressively attempted at Christmas Dr Dre.


Well in my real life I fall over and pick myself up again and jump on that merry go round hoping I will get somewhere. I think that SL can mirror RL its not a bad thing to think it of as a game with objectives set by us and possible goals.

Even games have serious rules. Have you ever seen a bunch of boys play Call of Duty? Pensive and testosterone spring to mind. For me its Operation, I sweat when attempting to retrieve the Charley Horse.

What I am attempting to say is once I make a promise whether its in Second Life or real life I commit to it. Yes real life at times is always an essential first however for those I friend and make promises to I commit. The key word for me is a promise, I don't do it lightly and I hope I have never broken one. If I never log on second life when I say I will its because probably I found that giant animal welfare approved giant bumble bee to harness and ride and got distracted.

2 comments:

  1. one day i will post without typos ammends "I will" to it will be....oh well I can't converse in print whether its abpot RL or SL..ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nooooo!!! Don't you change. I read what you write and it just makes me smile ;)

    ReplyDelete